Sunday, February 3, 2013

Finding Blessings in Mourning

Last week my grandfather passed away.
Here is some context.
My grandparents split when my dad was young. 
They both got remarried and my whole life I have seen my Grandpa Hart( My dad's dad) and Grandma Donna( his wife) 2 times. Once I was 5 and I briefly remember and the second time I was in high school and they took a road trip across the country and visited. He didn't watch me graduate high school, college or get married.

My Grandma and her husband Louie however were a different story. At one point we lived with them. My parents were teenage parents so we didn't start with much. I remember Louie in almost every significant memory I have. Birthdays, holidays baptisms, confirmations, graduations and my wedding. 
( Grandma and Louie at my wedding)

Louie passed away on Thursday. He was driving a car full of my family ( him, grandma, my aunt, her two kids and boyfriend) in his van when he had a heart attack driving 60+ mph.

My aunt some how jumped into the front seat and slowed the car down.

During this time of mourning I am finding loads of blessings. While Louie is gone no one else was hurt, it could have been so bad. Louie was such a blessing to my life. He loved me more than I could describe and treated me just as he did his biological grandchildren. He always told us to call him Louie since we still had our grandfather and didn't want to take his place but reflecting back he was such a wonderful grandfather and I wish I would have let him know it everyday. He loved my grandmother with every part of his body and he loved my family even more. 

So I am blessed. Louie was a blessing to my life and while I am sad and mourning I will treasure every memory.




5 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, shug. Sometimes the best family are not blood. May he rest in peace. I'm glad you had a great relationship with him, and that no one else was hurt! Prayers your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im sorry for your loss..I am praying for you and your family during this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry for your loss. I lost my Papa in August and can relate. Praying for your family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I had a similar grandfather by marriage situation. Ill be sending prayers up for you and your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness! I am so sorry!! Praying!

    ReplyDelete